In February 2012 Boys & Girls Club of Greater Victoria (BGC) in conjunction with members of Victoria’s Community Centre Network (CCN) launched a film festival contest designed to engage local youth and teens in educating their peers and the wider community about the negative impact of bullying. Due to the tremendous success of this event and support from local organizations and community partners, the CCN decided to make this into an annual event.
2019 marked Victoria’s 8th annual Anti-Bullying Film Festival and a name change for the festival to Spread the Love Film Festival. The name change was made in hopes that youth would begin thinking about ways to spread kindness and love both in their film submissions and in their daily lives.
The 2020 Film Festival will take place on Wednesday, February 26, 2020, at l’école Victor-Brodeur.
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE 2019 WINNERS!
#1 – Be the Friend – Boys & Girls Club of Greater Victoria
#2 – Power of a Friend – Boys & Girls Club of Greater Victoria
#3 – Kindness Cold – Burnside Gorge Community Association
#4- Spread the Love – James Bay Community Centre
#5 – Spread Kindness Around the World – Victoria Immigrant and Refugee Society
All videos must be submitted via USB flash drive in .AVI, .MOV or .MPEG format, or find directions below on how to submit online via Dropbox.
- Ensure that your video is clearly labeled and saved as .AVI, .MOV or .MPEG format.
- Drop-off your USB at either:
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Victoria – 301-1195 Esquimalt Rd. (Attn: Christian Caille)
- Crystal Pool & Fitness Centre – 2275 Quadra St. (Attn: Ryan Lance)
- Your USB will be available for pickup at the drop-off location upon competition of the film festival.
How to create a Dropbox account:
- Create an account on Dropbox.com.
- Type your name and email address (your email address is the username for your Dropbox account).
- Type a unique password.
- Click the box to agree to the Dropbox terms.
- Click Create an account.
If you have already installed the Dropbox mobile or computer apps, you can also create an account by launching the app and clicking Sign up.
Uploading a video to Dropbox & Sharing with BGC:
- Go to the home page and look for the blue button called “Upload files” on the right side of your screen. Click the “Upload files” button to upload your video.
- When the file is uploaded, click on the file and it will open to a new page where you can view your video. In the upper right corner, you will see a blue share button.
- Click on the blue share button and a new window will pop up with the name of your video in the subject line. Below your video name, you will see “To:” Type in firstname.lastname@example.org (Christian’s email).
- Once you enter email@example.com, the blue share button will appear in the lower right corner of the window.
- Click the blue share button.
- Your video has been shared.
Contest Rules & Submission Details:
- All submitted videos should address the topic of “Spreading Kindness/Love” and be in the form of a Public Service Announcement (PSA). Please keep videos appropriate in nature. Entries with inappropriate content (e.g. offensive language, nudity) will not be screened.
- Videos must be under one minute in length. Please be aware that your video will be accompanied by an introduction/acknowledgement of the host organizations.
- The contest is open to youth living in the Greater Victoria area up to 19 years of age. As this is a youth film festival we ask that parents, teachers and other adults assisting in the production limit their involvement. Youth are responsible for the planning, filming and editing of their work. Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in disqualification from the festival.
- All videos must be submitted via USB flash drive OR Dropbox as .AVI, .MOV or .MPEG format. Contestants may enter as many films as they wish to the contest. A completed registration form is required for each entry submitted.
- All eligible entries will be screened at the Youth United 2020 Spread the Love Film Festival on Wednesday February 26th at l’école Victor-Brodeur between 6:30 pm and 8:30 pm. Local organizations will be at the event with resources for children, youth, and families.
- A panel of judges will assess the PSA using the following criteria:
* Clear Spread Kindness/Love message * Creativity/Originality * Production Quality * Overall Impression